Friday, October 14, 2005

Tab

How many of you born a while ago remember the diet soda Tab?

I remember being forced to drink it when I was a kid. This is not the kind of soda you gave to a kid. Kids were raised to drink Coke and Pepsi - carbonated water filled to the brim with sugary goodness. If you put fizz into maple syrup, kids would drink it.

However, I was blessed with a parent who was into dieting. And with dieting came the diet beverage. Sure, Diet-Rite was first, but Tab was king in our house.

And what vile, evil king it was.

Diet soda technology has come a long, long, LOOONG way since the early 70's. Now-a-days, I can tolerate diet sodas. In fact, I find real sodas way too sugary (not to mention calorie bombs in a can). But back then, there was no Splenda. There was no Aspartame. There was Saccarine and there was bland, tastlessness.

Suddenly, my soda had an aftertaste. And it wasn't good.

BUT, apparently I'm in the minority of Tab haters. People have apparently built shrines about the sode.

Hence: ILoveTab.com. Fine. Fine. Off you go.

No comments: