Saturday, April 01, 2006

I'm Savin' Daylight!!

Well, tomorrow morning at 2 AM, I get hop into my time machine and surge forward to 3 AM. Why? It's time for Daylight Savings!!

That's right. Forget saving money. Forget saving for a rainy day. Let's save daylight!! It sounds so wonderful and mystical like we're living in a land of unicorns and fairies and bright, shiny things. We're saving daylight for that day when the big, old, bad King of Dark shows up and tries to take our daylight away. Not so fast, buster. I got some daylight saved up!

Oy.

Why the hell are we still following this arcane tradition? From what I've read, daylight savings was established back in the day of Benjamin Franklin to help businessmen and farmers having an extra hour of daylight to be extra productive during the warmer summer months.

With the advent of the Internet and the fact that we all conduct business at the speed of light these days and that business is no longer predicated on the amount of sunlight, this silly nonsense of "spring ahead, fall back" is pointless and irritating. It's almost like creating your own jet lag -- it actually takes a few days to adjust to the shift. Don't believe me? Check how extra cranky and out of sorts all your co-workers are on Monday.

Hey, Arizona and Hawaii don't observe daylight savings. They haven't fallen off the earth. They've not suddenly gone into a timewarp where they're an hour behind everyone else.

It's time for a change. No more daylight savings!! Now if you'll excuse me I have to move my clock forward an hour...

No comments: