Saturday, August 13, 2005

Charmed-A-Holic

I'm not that big a TV viewer. My family can have the TV going and I'll barely pay it any attention -- either I'm working on the computer or reading or doing something else.

There's only a few shows that I've actually set aside time to watch: X-Files (boy, oh, boy, Sunday nights were empty when this show went off the air...), Lost, and the Amazing Race.

Now, thanks to my wife, I can count one more show: Charmed.

I was in that camp that thought only teenage girls watched the show. I had intermittently read good writeups about it, but never felt compelled to actually check it out. But then my wife started getting into it. So, one day, I finally decided to check it out. Wow! The show is actually very good. Very, very good. It doesn't take itself all that seriously, yet never slips into parody. It manages to walk a very fine line between humor and drama and rarely, if ever, falters.

The acting is good, the effects are simple, but effective, the bad guys (demons!!) are creatively rendered. The stories a fun and well written -- a little repetitive at times (the first three seasons were pretty much "demon-of-the-week"). The later seasons started getting into more season-long plotlines.

It's been fun discovering a show after it's been on the air for seven seasons. It's a treasure trove of episodes I've never seen. Watched the cliffhanger from Season 3? You don't have to wait the whole summer to find out what happened. They'll air Season 4's premier the next day!

I'm glad the show's got at least one more year on the air, that way I can experience that "opening Xmas presents" feel of watching a new (or as The WB likes to call it, "Fresh") episode every week!

My only wish is that the show's producers would make nice-nice with Shannen Doherty so that she would come back for at least the series finale. That would make the fan-boys and fan-girls go loopy and would make for a very fitting end.

No comments: