Saturday, August 06, 2005

In Defense Of Musicians

Got the new Jason Mraz cd - Mr. A - Z.



This disc has been getting a critical drubbing from all corners ...

Frankly, I think it's a good CD. The critics seem to be getting their panties in a ball because of the lyrics. Fine. I agree. Jason seems to be trying a little TOO hard to make his lyrics overly clever and at times it's a bit too much.

However, how many of us get a CD for the lyrics (Bob Dylan aside)? I don't. I've rarely listened to lyrics (yes, I know that puts me in a minority). I've always viewed the human voice as another musical instrument. It's not like without the words, the songs suck. If that was the case, Classical music would have blown up on the launch pad. The music is what it's all about. THAT's what's truly touches you. Occasionally, there are good lyrics that really cover something going on in your life. But, nine times out of ten, you have a song playing in your head, is it just some monotonous recitation of the lyrics or are you singing them, caught up in the melody?

In Mr. Mraz's case, overly clever lyrics aside, his music is fun, bouncy, and addicting. Taken on that level, his new album does not deserve the trashing it's getting.

No comments: