Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hands Free For You And For Me

On July 1st, California implements a statewide law requiring drivers to use some kind of hands free device while driving if they need to use their cell phone. It can be one of those Lt. Uhura Bluetooth devices in the ear, a Bluetooth-enabled speaker box (that's what we're using), or even the cellphone's speaker. Basically, anything OTHER than holding the cellphone to their ear.

Even better, drivers 18 years and under can't use their cellphone while driving AT ALL, hands free device or not.

No longer will I be behind a car that's weaving dangerously in their lane only to discover they're not drunk. They're yakking away on their cellphone.

The first offense is $20. Next offense is $50. It continues getting more expensive.

I now find myself next to cars where the driver is on the cellphone and thinking "that's a ticket." I would love to know much money law enforcement rakes in during the first month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the law works well. Though I've been in other juristictions where they're banned and people seem to look the other way.

Susie said...

leafs fan beat me to it. Use of hand-held phones while driving has been illegal for a while here, but every day I still see multiple people using them.

DaBahbs said...

It'll probably be hard to enforce in the major cities like L.A., but it might be effective in all the smaller towns throughout the state.