Friday, September 07, 2007

New iPods!

This past Wednesday, Apple announced new ways to liberate me from my money: New iPods!

First was the iPod Touch -- an iPhone without the phone. Same cool touch-screen interface, including WiFi connectivity and the Safari browser. I have no interest in this one. Why? The two storage capacity options were 8 GB and 16 GB models. I currently have an 80 GB iPod and have loaded almost 50 GB of music on it already.

Second was the new Nano. Looks like the baby brother to the regular iPod. Again, not enough storage room.

Now came the one that made me go "oooooh". The revised (and renamed) iPod Classic. In two delicious options of 80 GB (been there. done that) and 160 GB. 40,000 SONGS. 160 GB. Whoa. Plus a new interface with album cover flows and other fancy stuff.

I'm sure you're thinking, "Dude. You already have an 80 GB that's not filled up. Why do you need another iPod?". Because it's fancy and it has 160 GB of storage space! I would transfer all my music from the 80 GB to the 160 GB, then use the 80 GB to back up all my Mobile Fidelity CDs (90% of which are loooong out of print) -- that way I can listen to the music without risking losing the CDs. Some of those CDs are now well over $200 on eBay to replace.

First, though, I think I'll get an iPhone -- especially now that Apple shaved $200 off the 8 GB model (the 4 GB has been discontinued). And, hey, somebody's 40th birthday is coming up. And, hey, my wife reads these posts. Hmmm. Hint. Hint.

No comments: